To post an event contact:

To confirm attendance contact:

Your Name (required)

Your Email (required)

Your Message


 Anthony J. “Tony” Maricevich

Tony Maricevich

Tony was drafted in February of 1943.  He reported and was processed at Ft. Hayes in Columbus, Ohio.    He went to Camp McCain in Mississippi for basic training.  From there he was transferred to Fort Jackson in South Carolina.  Prior to shipping overseas he was transferred to Camp Miles Standish outside of Boston.  March of 1944 he was on a ship to England.  The 26th of March was his 20th birthday which he spent on the ship in the Atlantic Ocean.  He recalls being in Redding England when a Colonel from the 101st Airborne addressed the men in his company.  Tony said they were given a choice of being in the airborne or the glider troops.  Tony elected to be a troop in the 327th GIR.

Tony was assigned the duty of making sand tables for the invasion.  This duty caused him to miss the D-Day invasion.  Later Tony was on a glider and landed on the objective in Holland.  Tony was also at the battle of the bulge in Bastogne.  Tony was discharged in the summer of 1945. 

Waldo Stoner


Waldo enlisted in the Army in 1942. He took basic training at Ft. Claiborne, La. Then he went to Ft. Bragg and took glider pilot training. He was a T/5. Soon he was promoted to S/Sgt. In 1944 he boarded a ship and made the voyage to England. He now qualified as a CWO and was assigned the responsibility of the 502nd personnel records. When D-Day came Waldo was told by his commanding officer that he would have to remain with the records until the invasion took place. In a few weeks he went to France.

In December of 1944 Waldo was sent to retrieve the records of the 101st from Bastogne. He was told he take anything he wanted. Waldo chose to take the mail bags. He said letters from home meant more than anything to men overseas. When he arrived at the outskirts of town he met General Patton. He was able to shake hands with the general who told Waldo to get in and out quickly. Waldo drove in to town in a jeep. He located a doctor giving aid to a wounded soldier. The town was devastated. The doctor gave a box with the company records. Waldo dropped off the mail and took the records.

Later when HQ was near Berchtesgaden Waldo and some of the men were approached by some local boys. They said that a local hermit wanted the Americans to come see something he had found. Waldo was suspicious but agreed to go with the boys. Using horses for transport they made it to where the hermit lived. The Americans approached with caution. Waldo peered around the corner of the building. He did not want to walk into a trap. Finding there was no danger he approached the hermit. The hermit showed Waldo where he had buried 7 bodies. As it turns out the bodies were of a B-17 crew that had crashed in the mountains. Waldo sent the names of the airmen back to HQ and then to Washington DC so relatives could finally know what happened to the missing men. Waldo was discharged and came home in May of 1946.

Luther “Juke” Crabtree

Luther Crabtree Pro

Luther was born in Columbus, Ohio on 29 April 1924.  Luther attended South High School and graduated in 1942.  After graduation he and his brother Harold enlisted in the Marines.  They took their boot camp on the west coast.  On the completion of boot camp they joined the Paramarines. They trained for six months in which time they made their five jumps and qualified to wear jump wing.

In January of 1944 the Commandant of the Marines General Vandegrift disbanded the Paramarines and the Raiders.  On 29 February 1944 they were officially disbanded.   All Marines are equal!  These two specially trained marine battalions would comprise the new 5th Marines.  The 5th Marines would be trained especially for the planned invasion of Japan in November of 1945.  So, in February of 1944 Luther and his fellow Marines were in the 5th Marines.

Luther completed training and was to take part in the invasion of Iwo Jima.  During the action Luther lost his brother (Harold) to enemy fire.  Luther’s actions earned him a Silver Star.


Harold William Crabtree

Harold Crabtree

Harold was born in Columbus, Ohio on 26 November 1922.  Harold attended South High School and graduated in 1941.  After his brother Luther graduated high school in 1942 they enlisted in the Marines.  They took their boot camp on the west coast.  On the completion of boot camp they joined the Paramarines. They trained for six months in which time they made their five jumps and qualified to wear jump wings.

In January of 1944 the Commandant of the Marines General Vandegrift disbanded the Paramarines and the Raiders.  On 29 February 1944 they were officially disbanded.   All Marines are equal!  These two specially trained marine battalions would comprise the new 5th Marines.  The 5th Marines would be trained especially for the planned invasion of Japan in November of 1945.  So, in February of 1944 Harold and his fellow Marines were in the 5th Marines. 

On Iwo Jima Assistant Squad Leader Harold landed on the island on 19 February 1945.  The fighting was heavy for days.  The Japanese were dug in.  The Marines were to eliminate the Japanese and take the four water holes.  It was the only fresh water on the island.  This was done in a week.  They took the first air field on the 26th of February.  Dog Company (Harold and Luther’s company) was on the point.  Luther’s assault team was nearby to aid his company.  At 1400 hours Luther’s squad was called to destroy pillboxes.  Dog Company was pinned down.  Luther, a bazooka man, a loader and the flame thrower approached the pillbox.  Luther was on the left.  They fired 2-3 bazooka rounds into the pillbox followed by a 20 second blast by the flame thrower.  Luther followed up by putting a satchel charge in the pill box.  This effectively took out the pillbox.

 On this assault Harold was in the lead with his squad.  As Luther approached the pillbox he could see Harold 15 feet away laying face down with a pool of blood around his head.  He had been shot in the temple.  Luther said he probably didn’t know what hit him.  After the pillbox was eliminated Luther request to his commanding officer to retrieve Harold’s body.  That night Luther and several men under cover of smoke and heavy fire did get Harold back.  Luther said he doesn’t know how none of them were hurt or killed by the weapons fire and explosions all around them.  That night Luther stayed with Harold and the next day grave registration took Harold.

Tony Stein


Tony Stein was from Dayton, Oh and grew up in Old North Dayton. He entered the Marines on Sept. 22, 1942 and after recruit training went to the Paramarines. Assigned to Headquarter Company, 3rd Parachute Battalion, 1st Parachute Regiment, 3rd Marine Division and fought at Vella Lavella and Bouganville. In his civilian life he was a tool maker & this helped in his modification of a .30 caliber M1919 machine gun from a wrecked Navy fighter. The Paramarines were disbanded and he returned to Camp Pendleton where he was promoted to Corporal and assigned to Company A, 1st Battalion, 28th Marines, 5th Marine Division.

On February 19, 1945 he would take part in the landing on Iwo Jima. As his unit moved inland he attacked several positions. He made many trips to the rear area to get more ammunition and while doing this he took wounded with him. It was for this action he would be awarded the Medal of Honor.

He was wounded in the fighting for Mt. Suribachi and was evacuated to a hospital ship. Upon hearing that his unit was advancing up the west side of the island he left the ship to rejoin them. On March 1, 1945 he was killed by a sniper while leading a 19 man patrol. His Medal of Honor would be presented to his wife on February 16, 1946 by Governor Lausche

He was buried on the island in the 5th Division cemetery. Later he would be returned to Dayton and on December 17, 1948 was reinterred at Calvary Cemetery with full military honors. He is 1 of 4 Daytonian to receive the Medal of Honor.

Robert J. Hartzell


 Robert Hartzell was born and raised in Tiffin OH. After high school he signed up for the 3C’s, the Civilian Conservation Corps, in 1940. He left and was sent to Bridger, Montana where it was -37 when he arrived. For the next 6 months he and the others built silt dams for the local ranchers. After those 6 months he returned home and began work at a local company Kildows where he did inside work & deliveries.

After the bombing of Pearl Harbor Bob and a friend, Nick Kuhn, enlisted in the Army as paratroopers. They were sworn in at Ft. Hayes in Columbus, OH and sent to Ft. Benjamin Harrison in Indiana. From there they went to basic training to Camp Wolters in Mineral Springs, Texas in June 1942. In October 1942 Robert was sent Ft. Benning Ga. For paratrooper training. After training he was assigned to 1st squad / 3rd platoon, I Co., 502nd Regiment in November 1942. After graduation he had a 7 day pass & returned home. While there he had the above portrait made. After returning to Ft. Bragg he participated in the Tennessee Maneuvers. After these maneuvers they moved to New York to ship out to England, Sept. 2 1943.

The trip over would take 45 days due to the ship he was on developing engine trouble & putting in at St. John’s, Newfoundland. After repairs they left for England and docked at Blackpool. From there they moved by truck to Chilton Foliat for further training. After their last training exercise in May, 1944 they were moved to the marshaling area at Greenham Common Airfield. General Eisenhower visited the 502nd and remembered that Ike tended to ask the men where they are from and wished them well in their missions. It is said that these visits did more to boost the General’s morale than it did the troopers. Nevertheless, as Ike returned to his jeep it was observed that he had tears streaming down his face as he contemplated what the fate of these Troopers might be. I Co. was part of Serial 1 and consisted of 36 aircraft and was to one of the first groups to take-off after the pathfinders. His aircraft lifted off at 1130 hrs. for the 2 hour flight to their “Rendezvous with Destiny” and Drop Zone A.

Shortly after 0115 hrs. the red light came on and after that the green light, Bob was carrying the bazooka. He landed outside of St. Mere Eglise in water up to his chest. After getting out of his chute he helped pull other men out of the water. Then men, 6 plus, that were there in the area assembled to start looking for the costal guns. They moved out & found the coastal guns destroyed by the RAF. At this location a sizeable group from 3rd Battalion formed up under the command of Col. Cole. For the next 4 days 3rd Battalion would fight in many towns around the area.

On June 10th, I Co. in the lead of 3rd Battalion sent off down the causeway to Carentan. Along the way the battalion was sniped and shot at and had to cross 4 bridges along the way. At the 4th bridge there was a Belgium Gate blocking it. For the next 5 hours the men were under attack from the Germans in the farm to the west of this bridge. At around 2330 hrs the Germans attacked with 2 Stuka bombers. Bob would have one of these bombs land near him and hitting him with shrapnel. Early in the morning of June 11th 3rd Battlion would carry out a bayonet charge into the farm. Col. Cole would receive, postumately, the Medal of Honor for this action. Bob was evacuated back to England and would return to the company. But due to his wounds he was not able to maintain his jump status. He was assigned to an anti-aircraft battery & finished the war with that unit. He would recieve the Purple Heart, a Croix de Guerre, a Bronze Star, and a Presidential Unit Citation

He would return to Tiffin and would marry Marie Kirian and raise 8 children. Bob would pass away in Jan. 2015.

*The above information was provided by Stephen J. Hartzell


Lester A. Taylor

Lester A. Taylor was born in Lawrence County Tn. on September 24, 1917. His family moved to California in 1937, then 2 years later, in 1939, they moved back to Tennessee. He would remain there in California. On January 30, 1942 he enlisted in the Army. Later as the Army was recruiting for the Airborne he transferred to the Airborne and was sent to the 82nd Airborne. He was then part of the 82nd Airborne that became the 101st Airborne. After training at Ft. Bragg he boarded a ship and headed to England in September 1943.

He would participate in the D-Day drop on June 6, 1944 and landed near the town of Germain de Varreville. He would be awarded the Bronze Star medal for his heroic actions in saving the life of a fellow Item Company trooper, John Lackhovic that day. He would be part of the march down Purple Heart Lane and the bayonet charge at Ingouf Farm. He would fight with “I” Company until the division returned to England in July 1944, after the return to England he was promoted to Corporal. During this time the division was reconstituted with new men and more training.

On Sunday September 17, 1944 the division would participate in Operation Market Garden. He would jump into Drop Zone B N.E. of Best and later that day would receive a field promotion to Sergeant. The 502nd was sent in the direction of Best & encountered strong enemy resistance. 3rd Battalion then set up a defense of the bridge East of Best. On the night of the 18th they were ordered to set up a road block East of Best. They were in place by 2230hrs., then around 0250hrs on the 19th fierce fighting broke out at the roadblock. On the morning of September 19, 1944, part of “I” Co. was on the east side of the highway and part on the other. About 1000hrs, Lester and two comrades made their way to cross the highway to the west side where the need was greatest from the barrage of a hidden German machine gun position. They entered a building, shots were heard and Taylor exited the building mortally wounded, but threw a grenade back inside before he died. He was buried at 2 U.S. cemeteries in Holland before he was returned to his hometown in 1948.

September 20, Lester A Taylor’s body was recovered from a “field grave” along the old highway and taken to the temporary Son Military Cemetery at Wolfswinkel. His grave there was “adopted” by a Dutch girl, Dora Vogels, a resident of Son. Dora and her sister, Mien, who adopted the grave next to Lester’s, wrote to the Taylor family in the U.S. until 1948 when the temporary cemetery was closed and the remains moved to the American National Cemetery at Margraten or returned to their hometown in the U.S.A. Easter Sunday in 1948, a military funeral was held in his hometown and Lester A. Taylor was laid to rest in the family plot in Restview Cemetery, Loretto, Tennessee.

Along with various ribbons, points or other awards, the authorized awards for Lester A. Taylor are:

- American Defense Service Medal
– American Campaign Medal
– European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal
– 1 Bronze Arrowhead (European)
– 2 Bronze Service Stars (Normandy and Holland)
– Distinguished Unit Citation Emblem (502 PIR, Nov. 30 1944)
– Parachutist Badge
– Combat Infrantryman’s Badge
– The Bronze Star based on the Combat Infantryman’s Badge, First award
– Oak Leaf Cluster, 2nd award (Normandy)
– The Purple Heart
– WWII Victory Medal

Foreign Awards:
– Belgian Croix de Guerre Medal
– French Croix de Guerre Medal with Palm
– Orange Lanyard of the Royal Netherlands Army

*The above information was provided by Betty Taylor Hill, Sugar Land, Texas, U.S.A.


Donald R. Husted


Donald R. Husted entered the Marine Corps on August 9, 1948 and after completing boot camp he trained as a truck mechanic. In June 1949 he changed his MOS, Military Occupational Specialty, to tank crewman and was assigned to A Co., 1st Tank Battalion, 1st Marine Division, Fleet Marine Force stationed at Camp Pendelton, CA. Over the next few month he would train with this unit then on August 16, 1950 he would board the USNS M.C. Meigs and sent sail for Korea. He would arrive in Japan on Sept. 1, 1950 and then transfer to LST-019 and depart 9 days later. He would participate in the Inchon Landings that were carried out on Sept. 15. 1950. He would be engaged in the fighting around Inchon & Seoul until Oct. 15, 1950 when he embarked and travel from Inchon to Wonsan, N, Korea and landed on Oct, 26, 1950. He would be engaged in the fighting for the Chosen Reservoir & the evacuation at Hamnung, N. Korea where he would board LSD-22, Landing Ship Dock, on Dec. 14, 1950 and would land at Pusan, S. Korea 2 days later. He would participate in many other operations until he was wounded and evacuated out of the theater. On August 1, 1952 he would transfer to the Marine Reserves where he would serve until Sept. 18, 1957 and achieve the rank of Staff Sergeant.

For his service during the Korean War he would receive the Purple Heart, Presidential Unit Citation w/ service star, Good Conduct Medal, Korean Service w/ 3 stars and UN Service Medal.

He would return to Ohio where he raised a family around Springfield, OH. until he passed on May 16, 2004.


Jack Daugherty


Jack Daugherty was born in Columbus and graduated high school in 1942, he then spent 1 year at Ohio University before he was 18. In May 1943 he enlisted in the Navy and after boot camp he was sent to Charleston, SC to study medicine.

He studied for 6 month to become a lab technician and later he instructed for two months. The Marines had a requirement for 1,000 man and he transferred to them. He spent 7 weeks in boot camp again then followed by training in California. He was then assigned, as a corpsman, to Regimental Heavy Weapons, 9th Marines, 3rd Marine Division as a Pharmacist’s Mate 1st Class. He would participate in the invasion of Guam, part of Operation Forager, with them.

On February 23, 1945 he landed on Iwo Jima with the 9th Marines and fought several days with his unit. Then, on March 17th, Jack and another Corpsman volunteered to climb up a hill to rescue a wounded Marine. He was in an area with enemy machine gun fire.

After directing another Marine to throw smoke grenades to provide cover, he ran up the hill to the wounded Marine. Jack would be hit in the side by enemy fire before reaching a trench. When Jack reached the wounded man he found out he was not severely injured, he had been grazed in the back. The two of them had to wait 8 hours for darkness before moving out of the trench and back to safety. For this action he would be awarded the Bronze Star and the Purple Heart for his wound.

After he was discharged he returned to Ohio University and graduated in 1949. He met his wife while at Ohio University and they were married in 1950 and later had one son. He earned his DDS degree from Case Western University in 1953 and served his internship at the University of Cincinnati Hospital and was a resident the following year. In 1955 he was accepted at Ewing Clinic in Akron in 1956 and later became the chief resident. He would retire in 1987 and now lives in Oakwood, OH.

He would be awarded the Bronze Star, Purple Heart, Navy Good Conduct Medal, American Campaign Medal, Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal w/ 2 campaign stars and the WW II Victory Medal.